Fajita and Burrito Seasoning
Part of keeping our household healthy includes making our own “packet mix”. For years, we had been buying burrito and fajita mix and following the instructions on the pack religiously. Eventually, we discovered the salt content was incredibly high and would make us feel a bit off at times.
As I had done in the past with pasta sauce, I decided to make my own. Checking the ingredients on the pack, it looked fairly simple. Ingredients are listed in order of quantity, from greatest to least. Find all the natural sounding ingredients and discard the rest. It was just a matter of getting the proportions right. In this case, I tried a fairly even spread, which seemed to work.
The result is a much healthier meal with buckets of flavour. Incidentally, I used my own, harvested coriander seeds from a year ago. Comparing the aroma of these and bought ones… let’s just say the bought seeds were bland.
This recipe is in two parts: the seasoning and fajitas. The seasoning uses whole spices. This means a lot of work with a mortar and pestle, but the flavour is much bolder.
Equipment: Mortar & Pestle; strong arms.
Makes: 2 cups, enough for 8 dishes.
- 4 tbs Coriander Seeds
- 4 tbs Cumin Seeds
- 4 tbs Paprika
- 16 tbs Corn Flour
- 4 tbs Pepper Corns
- 2 tbs Rock Salt
- Chilli Powder, as required
- Grind coriander seeds, cumin seeds, pepper corns and rock salt.
- Mix in with paprika and corn flour.
- Add chilli powder to taste.
Serves: 4 people, 2 fajita each.
- 500g Chicken Breast
- 1/4 cup Fajita Seasoning
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1/2 Capsicum, julienne
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbs fresh Oregano
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Lime
- 8 Tortilla
- Salad ingredients for toppings
- Slice chicken into strips.
- Coat chicken with Fajita Seasoning.
- At high heat, fry chicken until just cooked through. Keep turning chicken and scrape base of pan regularly.
- Pour in water to deglaze pan and turn heat to low.
- Squeeze lime juice over the chicken.
- Add garlic, oregano, onion and capsicum to the top of the chicken.
- Put lid on pan to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare salad and tortilla.
- Serve in separate dishes for self-assembly